August & September engine development news!
A new example 2D game is available: "Muuu". Download it from GitLab: https://gitlab.com/michaliskambi/muuu
The game was created in 12 hours, for fun:) It mainly shows the usage of simple 2D drawing -- TGLImage and TSprite. The game is open-source, compiles on Android and desktops. Feel free to use it as an inspiration for your own projects:)
RECENT ENGINE IMPROVEMENTS:
1. Our Android build system was upgraded to use Gradle
- This makes it much easier to use many of our Android components (see https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/Android-Project-Components-Integrated-with-Castle-Game-Engine
). In particular, using the latest version of the Google Play Services
(which are a requirement of various other components) is now trivial. The Gradle build system not only automatically downloads the correct version, it also allows to split the Google Play Services into multiple smaller APIs.
- Various other components (like game_analytics and helpshift) can also be downloaded automatically using the Gradle build system. This means that you simply declare them in the CastleEngineManifest.xml, and they work!
- The new system supports also efforlessly libraries in .aar format.
2. New component that integrates Helpshift
, a mobile-friendly support system (submitting issues, chat with support, FAQ) with your Android games. See https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/Android-Project-Components-Integrated-with-Castle-Game-Engine#helpshift
3. Lot's of updates and improvements to Android docs.
- Heavily reworked https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/Android https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/Android-FAQ https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/Android%20Project%20Components%20Integrated%20with%20Castle%20Game%20Engine
- New page https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/CastleEngineManifest.xml-examples
with much better documentation and examples of the manifest file.
CROSS-PLAFORM API IMPROVEMENTS:
- CastleLog.LogTimePrefix (thanks to Eugene Loza!).
- Small TSprite improvements (FrameHorizontalMargin, FrameVerticalMargin, DrapFlipper).
- In case of errors in VRML/X3D, show line/column number.
- TCastleButton: allow multline caption, with html and custom alignment.
- TCastleFlashEffect.Image, to modulate the effect with an image.
- TCastleImage.Colors[X, Y, Z] property, TFloatRectangle.CollidesDisc, TMaterialNode.ForcePureEmissive.
- DrawPrimitive2D utility.
- Game Analytics on Android can be used to gather statictics about user purchasses.
- Enable using more than one <auto_generated_textures> in material_properties.xml.